Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Most Beautifulest Angel

I truly believe that a loving, dedicated mother is one of the most under-praised jobs in the world. And, at the same time, it is the most rewarding. Molly made a comment a couple of weeks ago that has really stuck with me & I wanted to share it (not brag about it, just share it.)
Molly & I were recently both angels in our annual church Christmas program. Angels were pretty popular this year...there were about fifteen of us. The play went off without a hitch & everyone had a really good time. Afterwards, everyone enjoyed some snacks, socialized & the kids got a special visit from Santa.
Before bed that night, I was changing into my pajamas in our closet & I overheard this coversation between Eric & Molly in the bathroom.
Eric: Did you have a good time tonight?
Molly: Uh-huh. I saw Santa and he gave me candy...two times!
Eric: Can I have some? (falling victim to the sweet tooth that has plagued him his entire life.)
Molly: No. (that a girl!)
Eric: Please...just on piece? (persistent, he is)
*pause*
Molly: Me & Hollan were angels tonight. (she's great at changing the subject)
Eric: Well, who was the prettiest? (oh, good grief, Eric!)
Molly: We were both the prettiest...all us angels were the prettiest (great answer, Mo)
*pause*
Molly: But, my mommy....my mommy was the most beautifulest angel I ever did see.
My eyes filled with tears as my heart melted into a puddle around my feet. Just to think...that's how she sees me. Her angel...that can and will do anything for her. Her mommy can make any boo-boo feel better, has answers to her many questions, and is always there cheering her on. It makes me so happy and so sad at the same time. Happy, because I know I'm doing my job as a mommy. And, sad because I know that this time will pass & she will not always see me this way. She will (much too soon) reach her teenage years and her views of me will change day-to-day. There will be times when she will not like me or even want to be seen with me. I dread those days. I don't even want to think about them. I would rather think about now. Because, right now, I am the most beautifulest angel she ever did see...and she will always be mine.

No comments:

Myrtle Beach 2007

Here's a video of Molly & Caroline running from the waves on our 2007 vacation to Myrtle Beach. It's amazing to see how much they have changed since then. Enjoy...